Friday, September 22, 2006

Week 2

In week 2, there was a tremendous improvement in the passing dept.  As a matter of fact, that is exactly where most of fantasy games were decided, in my opinion.  Now, let's get on with some random notes on this week's events.

On Saturday, the draft for fantasy league Industriales Reloaded took place.  It was bedlam.  ESPN's fantasy doesn´t work like Yahoo's, so you had to be alert in order to make your pick.  In hindsight, this could have been for the better, as teams turned out to be evenly matched.

Now, for some thoughts and reflections on Fantasy Football in general:

I don't know what's come over me, but I've become addicted to this godforsaken game.  By midweek I had joined another league no less!  I have found out, however, that fantasy is so named because it deviates from what actually happens on the field

Fantasy Football places attention on individuals, not teams: I was more concerned about James Farrior's performance than about the fact the the Cowboys beat the hated Redskins.  This has the potential to reduce my overall enjoyment of the game.

Fantasy Football rewards certain statistics that do not tell the whole picture on a player's value: take the case of tight ends or cornerbacks.  Both positions are troublesome in FF.  Why? Because the job of these players goes beyond gaining receiving yards or making interceptions.  Tight Ends are very important blockers, both for QB's and RB's.  If all goes well, cornerbacks should never be making a tackle.  This would mean that a RB has gone beyond the line of scrimmage or that a receiver has made a catch.  The situation for CB's may improve marginally if pass deflections (their most important task) is rewarded more heavily.  It does seem, however, that some positions are not destined for fantasy greatness.

Numbers replace people: fantasy football can be played by neophites and football laypeople because the game is not so much about knowledge or joy for the game, but about numbers.  Stats may help you analyze a particular trend on which you can act immediately, unless your league has a salary cap or restrictions on trades or other moves.  Just look at the number of people that signed up Bernard Berrian (WR, Chicago) after Chi's 2 monstrous performances (I am one of those, ASAMOF)  Can you imagine if real teams let go players that way? 

There is no place in FF for personal feelings: OK, I'm going to let if off my chest.  I made what is probably the dumbest trade in the history of FF (or so it would seem).  I traded TO for Chad Pennington.  Reason? well, his broken finger certainly was the straw that broke the camel's back, but there was something else.  I never did like TO for Dallas.  I believe he is a loser, with the worst possible attitude for a pro player.  I still do not understand how a team that has had players like Antonio Bryant, Joey Galloway, and even Keyshawn Johnson would hire this prick.  The only reason I find is $$$$$$.  Besides, if the Cows don't have a good QB (and Drew Bledsoe is not one of them) there is little that TO will accomplish.  Other mistakes I apparently made were signing up Champ Bailey and Dwight Freeney, none of them FF darlings.  Why did I sign them? Because I have seen them play, and oh brother can they play!!!!

My new team is called Supermachos and oh boy, did I get a good team.  Finally I was able to have a decent draft.  I did however, kind of regret signing up Steve Smith.  I don't know, I am thinking "TO again".  Well, let's see how it goes. Ka!

Next week I face Ravens, Allende Rhino Zeros, I-don´t-know-who, and Tecolotes Vengadores.  My prediction? L-L-W-W




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home